Double-blind reviewing requirements and Registration
Double-blind reviewing requirements: It is standard practice that identities of reviewers are not made known to authors. The double-blind review process extends this principle so that reviewers do not know the identity of authors. This process requires authors to refrain from identifying themselves in their own paper. Below are some guidelines for anonymising your paper.
- If you are using the ACM template correctly, you can tell it to create an anonymous version of the pdf; this will take care of explicit mentions of the author names.
- If you are not yet using the template (you should be!), in place of the usual author and address details, put “Author details suppressed” or something equivalent. Where there are more than three authors contributing to a paper, limit the number of author spaces to three in the anonymised version.
- Refrain from references to your university or campus by name. If you feel that a description of your university is in some way salient to the paper, use generalities. For example, use “our University” instead of “Maintown University of Technology”.
- Avoid expressions like “In earlier work we …” followed by a citation of a paper authored by yourself.
- If you have an acknowledgements section, omit it for the blind submission.
- Do not link to webpages in your anonymised paper.
- Once you have a pdf copy of your paper, see how well it is blinded. Some PDF creation software includes document properties such as the author name or institution. Some operating systems will show such document properties when the cursor hovers over the file name. Be especially careful to disguise or remove these properties.
In general, apply good judgement when preparing your submission, to maintain the integrity of the double-blind process. Submissions that allow the author to be identified may be returned to you for editing at short notice, or may be rejected outright.
Registration for ACSW: At least one author of an accepted paper must register to attend ACSW. When submitting a paper, you will be asked to nominate who will be attending ACE and presenting the paper if it is accepted. Papers not presented at ACE will be withdrawn from the proceedings. Please see the ACSW site for registration.